Social Justice Learning Institute (SJLI) Academic Support Tutor
Status: Non-exempt employee, part-time, temporary
Commitment: Various times locations, after school hours, up to 10-15 hours/week
Reports to: Academic/ Career Support Coordinator
At the Social Justice Learning Institute, we are dedicated to improving the education, health, and well-being of youth of color by empowering them to take hold of their educational future using research as a tool for community and social change. We train students to conduct research on problems in their community using a rigorous yearlong curriculum while providing basic academic support (i.e., tutoring, homework assistance, academic counseling, etc.) and college preparatory education. Our youth learn what it takes to achieve academically in order to go to college and become civically engaged, solution oriented and critical participants in the democratic experience. We envision an educational system where youth become engaged citizens who discover their best talents and apply them to help improve the world they live within.
SJLI is seeking tutors for youth in grades 9-12 in 5 subjects: English & Math (up to Calculus). Potential applicants do not have to excel in both disciplines, but must in at least one. Tutors will start working now and will need to commit to work through the end of the academic school year, at the end of June 2020.
▪ Provide tutoring to students in South Los Angeles,
▪ Offer assistance with the development of study strategies
▪ Work with the student to develop a tutoring plan that fits the student’s individual needs
▪ Prepare tutoring sessions to ensure the student’s academic development
▪ Assess the student’s progress throughout tutoring sessions
▪ Participate in tutor training and development sessions
▪ Support students through the college application process including application support, financial aid application support, scholarship applications, etc.
▪ Have successfully completed the course for which tutoring services are being provided or a higher level course in that subject
▪ Have a strong knowledge of A-G requirements, the CSU, UC and Common applications, and the FAFSA
▪ In pursuit of college degree or already obtained degree. Graduate students highly encouraged to apply!
▪ Enjoy tutoring the subject for which services are being provided
▪ Effectively communicate study strategies to ensure academic success
▪ Work comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds
▪ Bilingual a plus!
▪ Possess good organizational skills and complete paperwork in a timely manner
▪ Exhibit patience and a positive attitude to facilitate an encouraging learning environment
▪ Must be able to provide personal transportation to and from tutor site (vehicle highly recommended)
Schedule: Various times, up to 10-15 hours a week
Location: Los Angeles area
Hourly Rate: $15 per hour
Your application was submitted successfully.