Title: Health Equity Program Director
Reports to: Associate Director of Programs & Development
At the Social Justice Learning Institute, we are dedicated to improving the education, health, and well-being of youth of color by empowering them to take hold of their educational future using research as a tool for community and social change. We train students to conduct research on problems in their community using a rigorous yearlong curriculum while providing basic academic support (i.e., tutoring, homework assistance, academic counseling, etc.) and college preparatory education. Our youth learn what it takes to achieve academically in order to go to college and become civically engaged, solution oriented and critical participants in the democratic experience. We envision an educational system where youth become engaged citizens who discover their best talents and apply them to help improve the world they live within.
The ideal candidate for this position has experience working in and/or living in communities facing concentrated disadvantage and has the capacity to utilize that experience toward building programs and strategies that build health equity. He/she/they would also bring in expertise in public health policy, planning, and/or environmental justice to augment community based programs toward transformative and sustained impacts. This person is able to effectively and authentically communicate and represent SJLI with community members (parents, youth, residents, seniors), community partners (school administrators, organizational partners, and coalition members), and elected officials. This person also has experience and is able to organize and execute large community events-managing partners, vendors, staff, and volunteers. Finally, this person is passionate about and dedicated to improving health equity in communities experiencing concentrated disadvantage.
The Health Equity Program Director is responsible for the planning and delivery of the overall Health Equity program, services and activities in accordance with the mission and goals of the organization; to increase program effectiveness and efficiency; and to expand community networks and opportunities for partnerships. This role manages all staff within the division and acts as a community liaison.
Program Development and Execution:
- Create and execute on long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the program area.
- Develop and implement initiatives and program area action plans to support the strategic direction of the organization including community engagement activities i.e. outreach, awareness and promotion activities.
- Ensure program outcomes and deliverables are met and that program activities operate within compliance of company policies and procedures and all relevant legislation and professional standards.
- Develop funding proposals for the programs to ensure the continuous delivery of service.
- Support Development Department in seeking funding opportunities and preparing grant proposals and reports.
- Develop program budgets and expense projections for all program activities.
- Coordinate with SJLI directors and managers to ensure program synergy among other program areas.
- Coordinate and assist in organization strategic planning efforts.
- Attend Director, All Staff and Team meetings.
- Develop and manage program evaluation framework, systems, processes, forms and records as needed to document program activities, to conduct program assessments, to identify the program strengths/weaknesses and take appropriate action to control risks.
- Monitor the program activities on a regular basis and conduct an annual evaluation according to the program evaluation framework.
- Report evaluation finds to Executive Director and recommend changes to enhance the program as appropriate.
Contract Administration and Compliance:
- Communicates and creates program and financial reports for manager and funders (including government institutional entities) as outlined and in accordance with the funding agreement; compiles reports as needed - ad-hoc, bi-weekly, monthly and/or quarterly
- Create, submit, and manage budgets and operating plans to support the program.
- Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures and to ensure program operates within approved budget; approve all program expenditures and keep all program area records are up to date.
Team Management and Supervision:
- Oversee recruitment, interviewing, hiring, onboarding, and termination of team members.
- Supervise, develop and assess program area staff by setting and monitoring goals, work plans and training in alignment with organization goals, policies and procedures; provide direction, feedback and input.
- Liaise with other program directors and managers to ensure the effective and efficient program delivery.
- Plan and facilitate staff and organizational meetings.
- Develop and maintain team culture that sustains and enhances leadership and attainment of personal and professional goals.
Food Distributions and Community Events:
- Plan small to large scale food distribution events.
- Establish budgets, equipment needs, and staff and volunteer tasks.
- Work with the Development and Communications team on promotion, volunteer recruitment and assignments.
Community Outreach and Engagement:
- Manage, coordinate, and communicate with organizations and key stakeholders to foster deep relationships in the community (including joint project and coalition building), gain community support for programs and to solicit input to improve the program.
- Engage volunteers for appropriate program activities using the established volunteer management practices.
- Plan and facilitate community meetings, workshops, and events.
- Prepare presentations applicable to multiple settings: professional conferences, community settings, and town halls.
- Represent SJLI at various meetings, conferences, and events.
Policy and Advocacy:
- Set agendas and mobilize communities around health equity issues.
- Participate in local, regional, and statewide coalitions, collaboratives, and advisory committees and networks pertaining to health equity initiatives.
- Research and prepare briefing documents that inform campaigns and initiatives.
- Communicate health equity policy opportunities with Policy and Advocacy Director and Executive Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Highly organized and able to meet deadlines, assign tasks, and manage multiple projects, contracts, and events at the same time.
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to the goals, guidelines, and principles the Social Justice Learning Institute
- Able to identify and uplift connections between the built environment and health outcomes.
- Able to speak to the social determinants of health in an effective manner to elected officials and community members.
- Able to effectively communicate policies, programs, and plans to community residents.
- Able to facilitate meetings that encourage participation and engagement for staff, community members, and partners.
- Can develop budgets and work plans for assigned and/or proposed projects.
- Can approach health equity interventions (programs and strategies) from a systems and interpersonal approach.
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Possesses a valid California Driver’s License
- Able obtain a live scan clearance
- Availability to occasionally work on weeknights and weekends
- Able to form strong relationships with a wide range of constituents, including, but not limited to, parents, students, staff and leadership
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment
- Experience in working in and with communities of color
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Health or related field or Master Degree preferred
- 5-7 years of field experience in community health required
- At least 3 years experience supervising a team required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Microsoft Teams Suites
- Proficient or fluent in Spanish a plus.